Sunday, April 10, 2011

General Message for Compatriot Roy Butts

This is a request from compatriot Roy Butts to notify everyone who may have received an
"odd" message from his email. His email was hacked for improper purposes of sending out
"spam". He is in the process of correcting this.. Thanks

CB Glover


CB Glover


--- On Thu, 4/7/11, Roy Butts <rebelroy61@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Roy Butts <rebelroy61@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Words of a Confederate Veteran
To: "cb Glover" <cbglover9@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, April 7, 2011, 10:13 PM

CB, I hope you got the message that my E-mail had been Hacked and I did not send you that strange message you had received earlier this week.  Roy  


Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:15:08 -0700
From: cbglover9@yahoo.com
Subject: Words of a Confederate Veteran
To:

This is a copy of my article for the Historical Society newsletter. I know many of you will not be getting a copy, so I though you would enjoy reading the words of a Confederate Veteran so near Confederate Memorial Day.


                                              Veterans Words 

A Confederate veteran remarked one day "I never yet got an honest expression from even the most daring and reckless fighter that he did not admit a desire at times to escape the terrible dangers one confronts in battle. To me the greatest dread was always in anticipation, for once in the thick of the fight one is sustained by a sort of frenzy, a dogged determination to win, and ecstasy that lifts one above the thought of fear. The strain comes on the eve of battle, when you are held in reserve, when there is a lull that gives time to think or when you feel the temptation to stampede running like an electric thrill through the ranks. I once stood near a colonel when a bullet cut the skin from his cheek and the whistle of the balls was all about us. He was a slight , scholarly man, almost effeminate in appearance and I expected that so close  a call would force some evidence of timidity or dread. But the gallant little officer never turned a hair. He did not change his position or wipe the blood that trickled from the wound. I learned after wards that it was a triumph of will power and moral courage over the instincts of nature.
"I wanted to turn and run", he said." There was nothing of money value in my possession or that I could command which would not gladly have been turned over in exchange for a safe place".
In the raw state of our service we thought it  unmanly to put a tree or a log between us and the enemy. We must stand up and fight like men. But we got gravely over that false idea of heroism. The greatest degree of safety consistent with a proper performance of your duty is due your country, your families and yourselves,
"I have seen strong men stand pale and trembling  as they awaited the order to charge, and I put them down as the bravest of the brave because they knew the keenest fear and yet had the courage to resist its impulses. Under like circumstances I have resorted to a thousand expedients to quiet my throbbing nerves, counting the buttons on a comrades coat, taking a critical invoice of his equipment, trying to be amused at anything odd which might be discovered in this inspection.
"And the same men are not equally brave at all times. I saw troops time and again that had been stampeded, overcome and completely routed, afterwards behave like heroes.

Strange as it may appear, nations always go to war for the sake of peace..

                                                                         
Submitted CB Glover


CB Glover

No comments: